Robert Jimenez lives in the house. He says it all happened so quickly.
"I was right here. I saw the smoke coming out, so I ran over there," Jimenez said, "Pretty much, I lost everything."
The fire started around 3 Monday afternoon. Jimenez was renting the house. According to the Abilene Fire Department, the fire was caused by improper installation of electrical wires used to power the dryer.
"It didn't take a terribly long amount of time to put the fire out, but it did take us some time to get to the house itself. There was a lot of traffic in the area," said AFD Lt. Greg Goettsch.
The house is likely a complete loss. Fire crews estimated the damage between $50,000 and $60,000.
"You know how devastating a fire can be. The heavy smoke and heat can destroy a house pretty quickly," Goettsch said.
"I just thought it was in that one main spot, but it got everything," Jimenez
Robert says it's hard to look at what's left of his belongings, but he's happy that he made it out unharmed.
"What I have on, it what I have left. That's it. It's all gone," Jimenez said.