The 3-year-old boy and his grandmother were at the pool eating lunch on a nearby bench when the grandmother left him momentarily. A nurse for the Albany school district came to the boy's rescue, pulled him from the water and began administering CPR.
The nurse was soon assisted by a Red Cross-certified coach before the pool life guard takes her place.
Witnesses noted that the boy began coughing up food instead of water. He had apparently choked on his lunch, causing him to fall into the pool.
The boy was breathing and taken by ground ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center. His condition is currently unknown.