Doctors have been treating the 11-year-old girl after she caught fire in her hospital bed on February 2, as first reported in the Oregonian.
Ireland Lane was in the hospital after falling and hitting her head at her Klamath Falls home. She was reportedly making crafts for the nurses when she ran into the hallway engulfed in flames.
Stephen Lane said his daughter was using hand sanitizer to clean the table at her hospital bed and thinks she may have some excess on her shirt. He thinks static electricty may have ignited the solution.
"That this would happen anywhere, much less our hospital, was just awful," said Dr. Stacy Nicholson of Doernbecher Children's Hospital. "Our hearts go out to the child and her family."
Stephen, who was asleep in the room at the time, ran into the hallway and jumped on his daughter to smother the flames.
Read more: http://bit.ly/Y75Wom