The United Way's service is available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the West Central Texas Center for Economic Opportunity, located at 1102 North 3rd Street. Saturday hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
It's focused on families who made $42,000 or less in 2008. Those are the people who may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can be up to $4,800 per family.
“As of Feb. 28th, we have prepared 198 tax returns which is $837,228 in income tax dollars returned to this community," according to Terry Johnson, tax site coordinator. "Of that, $343,927 has been Earned Income Tax Credit dollars."
The AARP is also offering free tax preparation services, primarily for senior citizens. The schedule is as follows:
- Monday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mall of Abilene (across from El Chico)
- Tuesday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Mall of Abilene
- Wednesday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Main Library Auditorium
- Thursday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Main Library Auditorium
- Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mall of Abilene
- Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Mall of Abilene
What to bring:
- Tax materials such as W-2s and 1099s
- Social Security cards & photo IDs
- Last year's tax return and 2007 stimulus payment
- Real estate tax and investment statements