To make it so your children will never be able to plug in any of your power tools, buy a package of small cable ties and use one tie per tool. Take a cable tie and thread it through the holes of the prongs and then lock it into place.
Now they are not going to be able plug in the power tool. So with out any power, your power tools are going to be less likely to cause any harm.
Whenever you get ready to use the tool then you can take the cable tie off. For less than a dollar and a little common sense, your work area will be much safer.
Make sure your children understand the basics of electrical safety. Here are some more safety tips we found for you when it comes to you children and electricity:
To the Parents
Keep all appliance and extension cords out of reach as much as possible.
Young children tend to grab for things, especially when they are learning to stand or walk.
Prevent young children from playing with electrical outlets by placing plastic caps or covers over unused outlets. You can find these caps at hardware stores.
Before leaving young children with older brothers or sisters, babysitters or other childcare representatives, be sure they know the basics of electrical safety.
Make sure older children know the correct way to disconnect an appliance is by pulling the plug directly from the socket, not by pulling the cord.
Safe Facts for the Kids
1.Electricity can knock you down, burn you or even kill you if it touches you.
2.You can be shocked by touching anything electrical when your hands are wet.
3.If you need help with an electrical appliance or it needs repairs tell an adult.
Never poke anything into a wall socket, a toaster or any other electrical appliance.
Never use electric appliances without adult supervision.
Never play with electrical cords of any kind.
Never use electrical appliances, radios, hair dryers, electric hair curlers, curling irons, etc. near a sink or a tub full of water.
To the Parents
Routinely check trees in your yard for proximity to power lines. Children should never purposely let go of metallic (mylar) helium balloons outside. They might touch power lines, which could cause fires and power outages.
Safe Facts for the Kids
1.Always check trees for overhead power lines before you climb.
2.Fly kites only in open areas, with plenty of running room, away from power lines, roads and trees.
3.Always head indoors during thunderstorms, especially if you're near water. Lighting is a form of atmospheric electricity and it is attracted to water, a good electrical conductor.
Never try to retrieve a kite, balloon or toy airplane if they get caught in an overhead power line.
Never play around or climb on substations, transformers, power poles or towers.
Never use metallic cloth, wire or tinsel for kite frames or kite string, just in case they do come in contact with a power line accidentally.
Never fly a kite when it's raining, because kites conduct electricity. If lightning hits your kite, you could be shocked.
Emergency Info Kids Should Know
Never touch a victim of electrical shock or the appliance involved or you can be shocked too.
If someone is electrocuted or shocked, quickly get an adult to turn off the electricity at the circuit breaker or main fuse box. Call 911 immediately if the victim is severely injured.
Here are a few more tips on electricity and power tools.
Buying and Using Power Tools
When buying electrical tools, look for the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
Read the owner's manual before using your power tools.
It's a good idea to get some training on any electrical tool before you begin using it.
Wear personal protective equipment such as safety goggles, face shields, disposable masks, gloves, etc. as required.
Avoid wearing rings, jewelry or loose clothing when operating power tools.
Use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter when working with power tools.
Make sure a power tool is turned off" before you plug it in or unplug it.
When working on a ladder or scaffold, be sure your tools are secure. A falling tool can seriously injure a co-worker.
Maintenance and Repair Tips
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintaining your power tools. Most metal tools should be lightly oiled and stored in a cool, dry place.
Always unplug the tool when you change blades or do minor repairs.
Inspect your tool before each use and replace or repair it if worn or damaged.
Check screws, nuts, bolts and movable parts to make sure they are tightened.
Make sure your workshop and storage area is clean and dry. Sparks can ignite scraps, solvents, etc.
Safe Usage Guidelines
Check appliance cords for frays, broken plugs or damaged wires. They can cause electrical shocks or fires.
Stay away from water while using an electric appliance; you could be electrocuted. Only wash an appliance in water if the manufacturer's directions specify.
If an electric appliance falls into the water, unplug it before you retrieve it, even if it is in the "off" position.
When using an electric appliance with removable cords, always connect the cord to the appliance first, and then plug it into the wall outlet. To disconnect the appliance, unplug it from the wall outlet first, and then disconnect the appliance cord.
Disconnect all appliances by pulling the plug directly from the socket.
Do not pull on the appliance cord. You could damage it.
Don't overload electric outlets.
Unplug your iron and other appliances when not in use.
Make sure appliance cords do not come in contact with hot surfaces.
Repair and Maintenance Guidelines
Unplug all electric appliances before you work on them. Even when replacing a light bulb, it's best to unplug the lamp or turn the power off to the light fixture.
Do not touch an electric appliance with a metal object; you could be electrocuted. For example, do not use a kitchen knife to retrieve items from toasters, dishwashers, dryers or any other electric appliance.
If you receive any kind of shock from a large appliance or any other electrical device, other than from static electricity, have an electrician check it.
If an appliance emits smoke or sparks, or if you feel a tingle or light shock when it's on, stop using it. Discard or replace the appliance or electrical device, or have it repaired.