This pile of charred rubble is all that's left of the home Steve Chapman owned.
"It looked like there was gonna be a chance something could be saved, but it just went up too quick. Lost everything," he says.
Flames ripped through the house after some wooden logs were left unattended in the stove.
"I haven't really come down to earth. I just can't believe it happened," Chapman says.
Chapman woke up to see fire. He grabbed a hose and began spraying the flames. He says two highway patrol men were in the area and immediately came to help until firefighters arrived. However, hardly anything could be salvaged.
Despite the loss, on this Thanksgiving Eve, the Chapman family has at least one thing to be grateful for.
"When you're alive, you can pick up and go on, it just takes awhile," he says.
Chapman's sister Clara is looking on the positive side.
"It could've been more tragic than that. We could've been going to a funeral instead of thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. And I thank god that they're alright."
If you'd like to help the Chapman family, you can make a donation to Texas National Bank. The account number is 23590.