The fire that started in the four-story building in downtown Coleman Saturday night displaced 45 people.
A local bed and breakfast has opened their door to the victims, and the Coleman mayor has even opened a house she owns for the tenants to stay in.
"Well it all happened too fast. It was scary," said Jessie Miemankines, who has lived in the building for 11 years.
Miemankines, 94, was one of the people displaced by the fire.
"Never did think it would happen to this," she said.
Miemankines hasn't been able to return home. For now, she's staying at a house the mayor owns.
"We have a mom and a daughter. They're staying in one room, then the other two rooms are occupied," said Coleman mayor Carolyn Merriman.
She's not the only person in Coleman opening her doors to the fire victims.
"All of the people are stepping up to the plate. They're bringing food, clothes, everything they can," she said.
The Coleman Fire Department determined the fire started when a grandchild of one of the residents was playing with a lighter. The flames were contained to the apartment where it started, but the rest of the building sustained both smoke and water damage.
"They've had a lot of the inspectors already there, all kinds of different maintenance people coming in. Looks like it's moving quickly," Merriman said.
The Coleman Housing Authority is looking to re-home all of the building's tenants as soon as possible.
Private financial donations are being accepted to help the victims who were displaced. Donations can be brought to the Coleman Housing Authority at 605 West Second Street.