The expert, who is not related to this particular case, says the placement of the body, environmental and weather conditions as well as the period of time the remains were in the spot they were discovered could all play a role in the condition the remains are currently in.
The condition of the remains could have been affected differently if they were buried than if they were just placed on the ground, as well as if animals were able to get to the body.
The forensics expert says there should be no stock put in the age comparison as reported by the witness, as there is no way to determine that with any certainty unless confirmed by an anthropologist.
If only partial skeleton and no dental remains are present, the expert says the identification process would take a minimum of two weeks, but more likely 4-8 weeks for a positive identification.
If the remains are mostly intact and dental remains are present, the process could be expedited.
- REPORT: Adkins, Billie Dunn Return to Colorado City
- Officials: Identifying Remains 'Very Meticulous Work'
- Report: Gated Area Where Remains Found Never Searched by Investigators
- Hailey Dunn's Mother Reacts to Discovery of Remains
- Big Spring Police, Mitchell Co. Sheriff Marking Crime Scene at Airport
- Hailey Dunn's Grandmother Speaks About Remains
- Colorado City Police Chief Called to Scene at Big Spring Airport
- Big Spring Police Issue Statement Regarding Found Remains
- Remains Found Near House of Suspect's Mother
- Remains Found Near Big Spring Airport
- Hailey Dunn: One Year Later
- Few New Developments in Hailey Dunn Investigation
- Investigators: Adkins Remains Lone Suspect in Dunn Disappearance
- Investigators Respond to Letter from Adkins' Attorney
- Raw Interviews with Adkins after Hailey Disappeared
- Part II of Raw Interview with Hailey Dunn Suspect Shawn Adkins
- Dunn Volunteers Work to Bring Search Dog to Colorado City
- Police Don't Believe Accounts in Hailey Dunn Case
- Friends Still Hold Hope for Hailey Dunn
- Sheriff: Hailey Dunn Not Kidnapped
- Hailey Dunn Listed on FBI Missing Persons List