That is what family members say happened when a car carrying six teenagers drove off the side of FM 600 and hit a tree, causing injuries that killed a 13-year-old and 16-year-old girl, and left four other teens hurt, including 17-year-old Gabriel Mendoza Jr.
"He did take it very hard and just wish that things were different. He wishes he could have saved somebody, and I told him the situation got out of hand. He had no choice in it," explains his father, Gabriel Mendoza.
He goes on to explain how hard it has been for his son to cope with: "Like a big family, those were very good friends of his. He talked very highly of all of them."
It has been just as hard for the family of the two girls who died in the wreck.
"What we've got is all of this hair together," says Valerie Camacho.
Breanna Camacho's mother returned to the scene of the wreck late this afternoon to collect items ejected from the car.
She continues, "another earring...there's a knife with hair on it...It has this hair wrapped around it."
Elexus' grandfather also returned to the scene and found items belonging to his granddaughter.
"F for Flores, a band-aid that Elexus had on her ankle and a hair clip, and a piece of her hair," he says.
Small mementos that will help their families keep the girls' memories alive.
"I won't keep it, I'll give it to Elexus' mother."
It's been a difficult time for all parties involved, but as the grieving continues, Gabriel's father wants this to be a wake up call for drivers, especially teenagers.
Mendoza says, "A vehicle is almost like a weapon and you have to, when you get your driver's license it's a privilege, it's not a right, it's a privilege, and you should take it as you're operating it as a machine that could kill people, as it did."
- Services Set for Teen Girls Killed in Car Accident
- Family Members Set Up Fund for Crash Victims
- Slideshow: Vigil for Breanna Camacho
- Community Gathers at Vigil to Honor Victim who Died in Crash
- 2nd Victim of Sunday Car Crash Dies from Injuries
- AISD Pushes Parent-Student Communication in Wake of Tragedy
- Teenage Driver Released from Hospital After Deadly Accident
- Candlelight Vigil Planned for Teenagers Involved in Deadly Crash
- Teenager Killed in North Abilene Wreck
- UPDATE: Names of North Abilene Crash Victims Released