SOUTHLAKE - The ACU women's dominance of the Lone Star Conference tennis scene continued Saturday as the sixth-ranked Wildcats cruised to their fifth straight conference championship with a 5-0 win over Cameron.
The Wildcats didn't lose a set in either of their matches in the tournament as they eased to a pair of 5-0 victories. The Wildcats' 14th shutout of the spring helped push the Wildcats to 23-3 on the season, including 15-0 against NCAA Division II competition.
The win also sets ACU up to host the NCAA Division II South Central Region Tournament, which will be played April 29-30. The sites and times of that tournament will be announced later in the week.
The Wildcats began Saturday's championship match with their 15th doubles sweep of the season. The toughest match of the three came at No. 2 doubles where ACU's duo of Brittney Reed and Laura Mongin knocked off the Cameron pairing of Julia Puckhaber and Elvira Sholles, 8-5.
The nationally ranked pairing of Micah Hermsdorf and Hannah Kelley knocked off Cameron's Amanda Moberg and Sara Londono, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles, while at No. 3 doubles ACU's pairing of Julia Mongin and Madelyn Walker beat Florencia Tomero and Antonia Moberg, 8-1.
Armed with those three wins, the Wildcats only needed two more wins to clinch their 10th LSC championship since 2000 and 22nd overall.
They picked up those two wins at the bottom of the singles bracket where Emily Conrad knocked off Tornero, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 5 and Kelley beat Moberg, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6.
Abilene Christian 5, Cameron University 0
April 21, 2012 at Southlake, Texas
1. Julia Mongin (ACU) vs. Amanda Moberg (CU) unfinished
2. Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) vs. Julia Puckhaber (CU) unfinished
3. Laura Mongin (ACU) vs. Sara Londono (CU) unfinished
4. Brittney Reed (ACU) vs. Elvira Sholles (CU) unfinished
5. Emily Conrad (ACU) def. Florencia Tornero (CU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Hannah Kelley (ACU) def. Antonia Moberg (CU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Micah Hermsdorf/Hannah Kelley (ACU) def. Amanda Moberg/Sara Londono (CU) 8-3
2. Brittney Reed/Laura Mongin (ACU) def. Julia Puckhaber/Elvira Sholles (CU) 8-5
3. Julia Mongin/Madelyn Walker (ACU) def. Florencia Tornero/Antonia Moberg (CU) 8-1
Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:25 PM
SOUTHLAKE - The ACU Wildcats moved one step closer to another trip to the NCAA Division II national tournament on Saturday as they won their fourth straight Lone Star Conference championship and the likely right to host the NCAA Division II South Central Region Tournament.
The Wildcats knocked off Incarnate Word, 5-1, in Saturday's championship match as they won their ninth title since 2002 and 13th overall LSC championship. The win likely sets ACU up to host the NCAA Division II South Central Region Tournament, which will be played April 29-30. The sites and times of that tournament will be announced later in the week.
The Wildcats got the match started on the right foot by winning all three doubles matches led by the nationally ranked duo of Hans Hach and Nick Plum knocking Aiden DeLeon and Carlos Olvera, 8-1, at No. 1 doubles. Alfredo Desiati and Borja Cortes knocked off David Bellenger and Luke Trautmann, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles, while Micahel Morris and Guilherme Gesser beat Brandon Davis and Chris Lawson, 8-5, at No. 3.
Hach picked up a win at No. 1 singles with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Olvera, and Morris won at No. 6 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Trautmann to give ACU the conference championship.
MEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Abilene Christian 5, Incarnate Word 1
1. Hans Hach (ACU) def. Carlos Olvera (UIW) 7-5, 6-1
2. Nick Plum (ACU) vs. Chris Lawson (UIW) unfinished
3. Leury Arias (UIW) def. Alfredo Desiati (ACU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Borja Cortes (ACU) vs. David Ballenger (UIW) unfinished
5. Guilherme Gesser (ACU) vs. Brandon Davis (UIW) unfinished
6. Michael Morris (ACU) def. Luke Trautmann (UIW) 6-2, 6-4
1. Hans Hach/Nick Plum (ACU) def. Aiden DeLeon/Carlos Olvera (UIW) 8-1
2. Alfredo Desiati/Borja Cortes (ACU) def. David Ballenger/Luke Trautmann (UIW) 8-6
3. Michael Morris/Guilherme Gesser (ACU) def. Brandon Davis/Chris Lawson (UIW) 8-5
Global Samaritan Taking Donations to Aid Texas Tornado Victims
Global Samaritan Resources, a 501(c)(3) Christian Humanitarian Aid organization headquartered in Abilene, is receiving donations (monetary only at this time) to send to those in need following the tornadoes in Granbury and Hood County and the surrounding area on May 15.
Reminder: Grace Museum Hosting Stargazing Event Thursday
The Grace Museum is hosting a stargazing event on Thursday, May 16 on the rooftop of the museum at 8 p.m.
Brown County Water District to Begin Rehab of Water Treatment Plant
The Brown County Water Improvement District #1 will soon begin rehabilitation of the district's water treatment plant after accepting a bid for the project at...
Reminder: Abilene Celebrates National Bike to School / Work Day Friday
National Bike to School / Work Day will be celebrated on Friday, May 17. This special day highlights bicycle safety as well as promotes public...
KRBC AM Forecast: Thursday, May 16th
Mid 90's today with plenty of sunshine. A comfortable calm and clear evening making it down to near the 70 degree mark tonight. Cracking the...
Page 9 of 640