At 7:15 this morning, the Abilene Fire Department responded to a reported house fire in the 3400 block of South 27th Street. Firefighters arrived to find smoke pouring from the attached garage and the home's seven occupants safely outside. The fire was brought under control in about fifteen minutes but it had already caused extensive damage to the garage, a sports utility vehicle, and the kitchen.
This fire is believed to have been caused by a damaged extension cord used to power a refrigerator in the garage. The damaged cord apparently overheated, igniting adjacent combustible items. One firefighter suffered a minor laceration but no other injuries were reported and no one was transported to a hospital. The occupants will be displaced until repairs are made to the structure and utilities. Damage is estimated at around $50,000.