Fire crews were called to the 2200 block of North Mockingbird Lane this morning at about 7:00 after a family of eight escaped safely and called for help.
The front room of the house suffered considerable damage.
Abilene Fire Investigators have determined that the fire was started by an air conditioning unit. They believe a sofa pressed up against the unit restricted the unit's ability to take in air, causing it to overheat and spark the fire, which quickly spread to the couch.
AFD reports many of the family's belongings and the home's furnishings were lost in the fire, and that the American Red Cross is assisting the five children and three adults who lived in the house with a temporary place to stay.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.