The win advances Lynn into a national semifinal match against Armstrong Atlantic, while the Wildcats see their 2012 campaign end at 21-9 - a year that included the customary conference and regional titles, plus an impeccable All-America portfolio crafted by sophomore Hans Hach.
Hach was the Wildcats' lone dual winner today, first teaming up with senior Nick Plum at No. 1 doubles to beat the third-ranked tandem of Vlad Cirla and Willi Wolfer, 8-6, and then beating Wolfer on his own in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3.
Hach finished the year with a 24-4 record at No. 1 singles and went undefeated against a small army of DII opponents. His only losses of the spring were to No. 5 Eric Quigley of Kentucky, No. 16 Finn Tearney of Pepperdine, No. 33 Mate Zsiga of Baylor, and Rice's Harry Fowler.
Hach was equally dominant with Plum as they compiled a perfect 15-0 record at No. 1 doubles. Together they defeated six nationally or regionally ranked pairings, including Pepperdine's No. 4 duo of Tearney and Alex Llompart, 8-5, on April 14.
Plum, who played the last two years for the Wildcats after transferring in from Collin College, finished 19-7 in singles this spring and 24-3 in doubles, for which he should receive All-America consideration.
ACU entered the doubles/singles break ahead 2-1 thanks to wins from Hach and Plum, and Borja Cortes and Alfredo Desiati at No. 2, but the depth of Lynn's lineup proved to be too much for a youthful Wildcats' squad.
Lynn's Alessio Iannozzi tied the score at 2-2 after defeating freshman Guilherme Gesser, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 5 position, but then Hach put the Wildcats briefly back on top with his win at No. 1. From there, however, it was all Fighting Knights as No. 40 Luca Pavanelli beat Plum 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3, and Amaury Van Haelen held off a late charge at No. 6 from freshman Michael Morris, 6-0, 7-6 (2).
Benji Kendall clinched the match for Lynn following his 7-6 (4), 6-0 win over Desiati at No. 4.
Tennis Match Results
Abilene Christian vs Lynn University
May 17, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.
#3 Lynn University 5, #11 Abilene Christian 3
1. #6 Hans Hach (ACUM) def. #13 Willi Wolfer (LUM) 6-2, 6-3
2. #18 Vlad Cirla (LUM) vs. Borja Cortes (ACUM) 7-5, 4-5, unfinished
3. #40 Luca Pavanelli (LUM) def. Nick Plum (ACUM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Benji Kendall (LUM) def. Alfredo Desiati (ACUM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
5. Alessio Iannozzi (LUM) def. Guilherme Gesser (ACUM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Amaury Van Haelen (LUM) def. Michael Morris (ACUM) 6-0, 7-6 (7-2)
1. #5 Hans Hach/Nick Plum (ACUM) def. #3 Vlad Cirla/Willi Wolfer (LUM) 8-6
2. Borja Cortes/Alfredo Desiati (ACUM) def. Max Kouyate/Amaury Van Haelen (LUM) 8-2
3. Alessio Iannozzi/Luca Pavanelli (LUM) def. Guilherme Gesser/Michael Morris (ACUM) 8-2
Abilene Christian 21-9; National ranking #11
Lynn University 22-3; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,3,6,4)