Every Halloween three things are certain -- candy, costumes and and doctors say, a visit to their office.
Allergy and asthma doctor, Talal Nsouli says every year children with allergic reactions are rushed to the emergency room or doctors office -- and the triggers of potentially deadly allergic reactions are the very items that put the fun in Halloween -- like the costumes
"If you are allergic to nickel, we can start having some sensitivities, some eczema some contact dermatitis, redness of the skin," Dr. Nsouli says.
Face paint can have the same effect.
If your child has food allergies inspect every treat and its ingredients.
Beware -- the fog machine at the haunted house could cause sneezing, itchy eyes and nose -- and the excitement of seeing those ghouls and goblins could bring on an asthma attack.
All of the above can result in a perfect storm of Halloween triggers, causing a severe allergic reaction
Dr. Nsouli says prepare and prevent : pre-medicate. Use your inhaler about 20 minutes before trick or treating, or take an anti-histamine as directed. Have children eat dinner first, so they wont eat their candy before its inspected
Most importantly have the right supplies and know how to use them
An inhaler, and for children with food allergies, an epi-pen, which could save a life minutes after a severe allergic reaction.