Investigators have determined that the Tuesday morning fire at South 5 and Vine was started by a space heater.
No one was living there, but the house was full of personal belongings and someone had left a space heater running too close to furniture.
Firemen say it looks like the fire damaged the house beyond repair.
11/13/12 Original Story
Fire damaged a vacant house in south Abilene this morning.
The firemen rushed out to the house at South Fifth and Meander about 5:30 Tuesday morning.
There was a lot of smoke from the blaze, but no one living there, though the home was full of personal belongings.
Firefighters stayed at the scene for a couple of hours to put the fire out and make sure that it wouldn't start again. Investigators are looking for the cause.