According to the historical commission, the jail was approved by the Scurry County Commissioners Court in 1911 and the brick building that sits on College Ave. between 27th and 28th streets was completed in 1912, using local labor.
The jail was designed after two previous jails in the county -- built two years apart in 1884 and 1886 -- proved to be too small for the growing area.
The first floor housed the jailer and his family, while the prison cells and a hospital occupied the second and third stories. A trapdoor was included for use as a hanging gallows.
The jail was in service for more than 60 years, and two more jails have been constructed since -- one on 26th Street and the current facility on 37th Street.