The fire was at a propane gas company building.
Firefighters were initially afraid of a propane gas tank nearby causing an even larger explosion.
Albany police evacuated the area as a precaution.
It was people living in the nearby homes that alarmed Shackelford Co. firefighters of an explosion.
"There were propane tanks going off, it was really hot and really dangerous," said Kyle Tischler, Albany fire chief.
One family was outside decorating their home for Christmas when they heard the booms.
"I heard something like blow up or something and I looked over and there was smoke coming up," said Steston Hobbs whose family lives one block from the building that was on fire.
Many went ahead and left their homes before police evacuated the area.
Several propane tanks exploded as firefighters battled the blaze.
The building, owned by Law Propane was destroyed.
But for firefighters, safety was priority.
"We were called to protect the peoples property, but when were on scene we have to protect our own fire fighters because if we cant protect our guys, we don't get our job done," said Tischler.
The first report of the fire was just before 6:30 p.m., with flames under control in just over an hour and a half.
Firefighters still don't know the direct cause of the fire, and will continue to investigate.