Shortly after 2:00 in the morning, Gooden heard an alarm sound.
She continues, "I was completely out of it. I didn't know what I was doing. I just knew that hearing the beeping that I had to get out of the house."
Gooden says carbon monoxide was coming out of her heater, causing her detector to go off, which alerted her and her family to get out of the house.
"I ran through this door and I ran through the kitchen, all the way through to that door to get to open air," Gooden adds.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans and animals if exposed to high concentration levels.
Gooden says, "If it wasn't for that one little alarm, that $15 carbon monoxide alarm, we'd be dead. Absolutely, no doubt in my mind."
Gooden installed the detector just a week before her near-death experience and says it may have been one of the best decisions she has made in her life.
She says, "They're the difference between you waking up or not waking up in the morning in some cases."