The event is free, and lunch will be provided by ACT. CEU's will be available upon request the day of the event.
TACAC Drive-In Workshops support schools and education service centers as they prepare students for post-secondary studies and high school counselors who assist students in the college admissions process. Counselors gain information from seasoned professionals to assist students in areas such as selecting a college, navigating the application process, and preparing students to succeed in college.
Sessions and speakers for the TACAC West Texas Inaugural Event include:
- College Counseling 101 - Introduction - Christine Curtis-Carr & William Medina, Abilene Education Foundation COOL Program
- Making Admission Decisions: What Matters Most? Panel Discussion - Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University, McMurry University, Texas Tech & Angelo State University
- Part I: Writing Excellent Recommendation Letters - Tips and Tricks of the Trade for Counselors - Judy Siburt, Retired AISD Senior Counselor
- Part II: What do the People Reading our Letters Think? - Tips and Tricks of the Trade for Counselors - Nita Slaton, Scholarship Director Community Foundation of Abilene & Stephanie Lewis, University of Texas Austin
- ACT Update - Dr. Randy Palmatier, ACT
- National Collegiate Athletic Association 101 for Counselors - John Martinez, Director of ATEMS High School
- Financial Aid 101 - Ed Kerestly, Director of Student Financial Aid Service, Abilene Christian University
- Preparing your Seniors to Succeed in College - Mickey Saloma, Southern Methodist University & TACAC representative