* Check the road conditions and stay tuned to local news broadcasts for more information on roadway and weather conditions.
* Remove snow and ice from your vehicle before you drive, making sure the headlights and taillights are visible.
* Accelerate slowly.
* Increase your following distance.
* Brake gently in slow, steady strokes to see how much traction you have, and begin braking early when approaching intersections or stops.
* Approach bridges, shaded spots, overpasses and turns slowly.
* Never use cruise control in winter driving conditions.
* Use non-freezing windshield washer liquid.
* Use snow tires and/or chains (where allowed).
* If you are stranded, call the Texas Department of Public Safety's stranded motorist hotline toll-free at (800) 525-5555.
Instant Road Condition Information:
- Texas Road Conditions: 1-800-452-9292